CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 15, 2010

Who designed maternity military uniforms because that's who I need to slap!

About a month ago, I found myself struggling with the button on the pants of my Airman Battle Uniform (ABU). My friend Beth told me to loop a rubber band through the hole of my pants and hook it onto my button. It worked but it made it all the more real that this baby is really coming AND it was time to get maternity uniforms. No sense waiting until I'm even more uncomfortable!

I polled my military girlfriends to get a better understanding for what sizes I should be looking to get. The consensus was I should get at least two sizes bigger in both the pants and the blouse. So, off to the military clothing sales store I went.

My first visit to Andrew AFB's military clothing sales store was a horrific experience. They had three sizes: 8, 10 and 22. Ridiculous. Air Force talking points on the ABU leads you to believe that the women's sizes are supposed to match a woman's actual pant size -- that's a lie. I tried on the 10. It fit but wouldn't give me room to grow, if you know what I mean. I tried on the size 22 and said out loud to the reflection in my dressing room, "These better not fit, or this Angry Black Woman will go postal!" Thankfully they did not. The blouse sizes were not an issue. I found one that fit and was long enough (another recommendation by Beth). Since they didn't have the right size in pants, I went online and ordered a full set to get me started.

Two weeks after that incident Kyle and I headed back to the Andrews store. This time they had a bunch of sizes. I tried on the size I ordered and all was well. Just to be safe, I tried on a couple bigger ones and to see which fit better. Since there's no real way to know how big you'll get and what will be the right size at the end, I balled up my winter coat and put it in where the belly would grow to give me a better idea. Yep, I made the right call. They didn't have all the blue uniform parts there, so we headed to Bolling AFB. Blue pants? Check. Blue shirt? Why the heck is the back pleat stitched up? But, left with no choice, check on that too.

Although I will have to wear it, I didn't have to try on the dreadful maternity service dress jumper, also known as the blueberry muumumu. Thankfully Beth sent me one. Fat, less than stylish and rolling across the stage at my graduation in July... can't wait! What more could a woman ask for? Pockets! That's right, there are no pockets on any of the maternity uniforms! I declare that whoever came up with this nonsense should be slapped! Do they think we don't need pockets? Do they really think we don't carry anything around. I don't know about any other pregnant ladies, but I carry a lot of $hi+! In addition to my mini-wallet and keys, I at least have Chapstick, a snack, a bottle of water, Tums, and lotion (never know when your belly will start itching) -- you name it, I've got it and no where to put it all. Oh yes, I suppose I could pile all that crap into a purse. But I'm sure if you ask any pregnant woman, not one would agree that drawing more attention to their growing hips and butt by placing a huge purse on one of them is not high on their priority list right now!

Now tell me, where should my slap be delivered? I guarantee all pregnant ladies in uniform will thank me!



Check out my limited uniform options. Aren't they just too sexy for words?!


No, this is not me! I haven't gone so crazy that I'd cut my hair off!


All hail the blueberry muumuu...why can't we get rid of this?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I agree, I am on my 4th child in the Air Force with my husband Pat. We do not enjoy the uniform at all. Give 4 slaps for me!

Sincerely,
Martha

rothcomilitaryclothing said...

nice article and clothing pics for military

gigi123 said...

Too funny! I too am struggling w/ finding Maternity uniforms. I went to the base thrift store and Airman's Attic and came up with a skirt. My base exchange is a joke and thought about heading home to MD and visit Andrews...but thanks to your post I see I need to bother. I ordered a set of BDU's online but will have to wait 30 days plus an additional 3 day for delivery. This is a chore and I agree WHOEVER got paid to think of the concept and not think that more selection and sizes are needed at LOCAL exchanges should be double slapped with a kick! JMO :)

Anonymous said...

2ndAFPregnancy-TX--
I completely agree with you, especially the part about the pockets!! I caved in and got the big purse, and unfortunately everything seems heavier being pregnant =( About the waiting on uniforms and shopping bit, I'm at a AETC base in TX as an instructor so of course our uniforms have to be spot on, inspection quality at all times. Our clothing issue had nothing, so I ordered the full set online and ordered the two sized bigger in the pants (I'm an 8 normally so I ordered a 10.... that was a joke!) I got the blouse, fit good, the pants on the other hand... too tight for sure and my belly was too big to go back to the normal pants. I called AAFES to tell them, they said it'd be another 30-45 days for new pants, which there was no way I could do that, so I gave Lackland AFB clothing issue a call, told the super nice lady in the sweetest voice I could of my delima, and she pulled a new size for me off the rack, I paid over the phone, and she was happy to ship it to me. I got them two days later and was much happier/comfortable in the size 14. Only complaint now, is I wish they had the low under the belly band versus the "expansion panel" because the expansion panel puts too much pressure on my belly, so I end up rolling them down and have yet to find a tailor/alterations person who will alter that part, in the mean time I'm as comfortable as can be given the circumstances. Congrats and good luck to all you pregnant ladies! PS- I have the size 10 pants still, clothing sales won't take them back so if anyone needs them send me an email on global, last name is Maris, soon to be Parr, Ashleigh.