CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 25, 2010

I give it (up) for thee!

Pregnancy is one of those experiences where every day is different and you are constantly learning...about stuff you can't do.

When you first find out you're going to have a baby you begin purging your life of things that defined your bliss in your twenties.  No cigarettes.  No soda.  No caffeine.  No alcohol.  I don't smoke, so no challenges there. Soda was a little trickier and so was coffee -- I'd just started drinking more of both when I started my school program.  And, since I found out I was pregnant in the middle of football season, I was regulated to spend my Sundays in various sports bars watching my Cowboys without the benefit of a cold beer to relax me as they put up quite the inconsistent season. While giving up alcohol might have seemed difficult at first, it's only supposed to get harder and much more ridiculous from here. 

Here's a sampling of the rules I've heard so far:
You can (and should) exercise. But, you can't do exercises on your back (could decrease blood supply to the placenta). Keep your heart rate below 140 beats per minute. Whatever I need to break a sweat and 140 beats per minute doesn't do anything for me!  Perhaps most importantly though, you can't work out as hard as you used to, nor can you go as long.  Trust me, I've tried pushing it and the little one taking up temporary residence in my body lets me know I'm not in control of this journey.

Say goodbye to sleep (except in the first trimester when you're tired as hell). Between getting up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and readjusting the damn pillow so I can sleep on one of my sides (the left side is recommended, but my shoulder gets stiff) and not my back or stomach, I don't truly feel rested anymore -- and the baby' s not even here yet!

No lifting over 20 pounds. This can come in handy. If you're bull-headed and independent like me, it can really get in the way of your daily routine.  I got things to do and this rule can slow me down.

There are even rules about sex. If you're not high risk (and you know if you are), you can have it.  Just watch what positions you use (can't be on your back for too long).  He can't blow air in your vagina.  And spotting after it is normal.  You in mood, now?  Yep, all over that...whatever!

And of course, the reason for this tirade...good over-the-counter medicine to control cold and flu-like symptoms. I woke up with a scratchy throat and and congested sinuses. My offered solution?  Sudafed!  It doesn't even do anything.  I don't have a fever, so that's all I get.  My nose is running a marathon and I can't seem to get it to stop, my head aches, there's pressure in my sinuses, and all I can take is Sudafed? Not to mention, it doesn't help me sleep. Worst sleep ever!  Please Lord, I need my nighttime, sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, stuffy head, fever so I can rest medicine! Is this asking too much?  In my head I'm even contemplating what affect Nyquil could really have on our growing baby?  I probably won't do it though.  Kyle is watching me like a hawk and he'd know.  I should have studied harder in my math and science classes in high school.  Maybe then I would have gotten good enough grades in those classes to position myself to find a miracle cure for everything that seems to plague pregnant ladies so they don't feel crappy all the time! Where is that damn pregnancy glow I keep hearing about?

From what I hear, this is just the beginning of things I  have to give up and get used to -- especially if I intend to breastfeed later.  That's not even it, don't even me started on the things you get on this journey.  You know what I'm talking about.  Morning sickness (which I didn't get), bigger boobs (yep, up one cup size), stretch marks (hoping to ward off with cocoa butter and Jergen's lotion), constipation (which I could have done without) and more. All in the name of the growing life inside me, and the joy he or she will undoubtedly add to our already blessed lives.


This too shall pass...right?

0 comments: